The purpose of Meditation is to find inner peace and quiet. It can be used to teach you how to focus attention and become more aware of your internal landscape. It can also be used to become aware of yourself as a unique expression of creation and experience your interconnectedness to all of life.
These practices will help you manage stress, be happier and feel more connected to yourself and to the life around you (family, friends, pets, your garden, etc.). They also help you manage your emotions, feel more centered by finding peace and calm on the inside. You can become healthier in body/mind/spirit/emotional self.
Research has shown that meditation is of great benefit for multiple reasons. Anxiety and depression are reduced significantly. The quality of sleep is greatly improved. People with chronic pain required less treatment. Blood pressure and heart rate can be normalized. Learning deep breathing exercises brings more oxygen into the systems of the body which aids in improving blood oxygenation and circulation and increases lymphatic circulation. All in all, you become more at ease with yourself and happier. There is a list of research findings below.
In class you will learn a number of different meditation techniques using words, sounds and movement. These meditations are guided and structured to meet the needs of participants. Working with breath and awareness you learn to focus, clear your mind, develop a deep sense of peace and relaxation, bring healing energy to where it is needed and open to deeper states of consciousness. The energy of the group helps to deepen your experience. Over time you will become comfortable with longer periods of silence.
Meditation classes are held on Zoom on Thursdays at 10 to 11 am. Guided meditations are used to help you stay focused, relaxed and go deeper into your internal experience. They are very helpful during these challenging times. Come join us for a unique journey into better health and healing. You are welcome to join at any time. Email me if you are interested: firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send you the link. The classes are free.
Heart, the Center of Life by Carol Marcy
I breathe deeply
engagiwith inner awareness
smiling opens the door
love without boundaries begins to spread
moving from cell to cell
bringing forth joy, wonder, alertness,
openness to the adventure of life
energy flows beyond body boundaries.
I reach from the inside out
extending my heart’s light lovingly
to self, friends, human and other.
Studies show the benefits of meditation
1. Premenstrual syndrome symptoms decreased by 57%.
2. Migraine headaches decreased notably.
3. Anxiety and depression were reduced significantly.
4. Workers missed fewer work days due to illness.
5. Patients with AIDS and cancer experienced decreased symptoms.
6. Seventy-five percent of patients with insomnia were cured and almost 25% were improved.
7. Patients with chronic pain required an average of 36% less treatment.
8. Patients with high blood pressure recovered completely or improved.
The Benefits of Breathing Exercises
1. Every cell in your body depends on oxygen.
2. Oxygen confers feelings of energy and optimal mood.
3. Deep breathing stimulates good blood circulation.
4. Deep slow breathing provides more blood to the alimentary canal thereby aiding in better digestion.
5. This helps to cleanse the lungs, which helps to prevent respiratory infections.
6. Breathing deeply is one of the best ways to calm yourself, reduce anger and pain.
7. Deep breathing directly reduces stress levels by reprogramming the autonomic nervous system away from the fight or flight response to a calming response which supports your immune system and releases a rejuvenating hormone called DHEA.
The effects of setting up consciously created vibration in the body: OM, Hum or mantras
1. It improves immune function via the hypothalamic-pituitary axis.
2. It increases brain hemispheric balance.
3. Helps to quiet the inner dialogue.
4. Aids in recovery from addiction to drugs and alcohol, depression, anxiety, chronic fatigue, neurosis and sexual dysfunction.
5. Lowers heart rate.
6. Lowers blood pressure.
7. Reduces stress hormones.
8. Improves the production of melatonin, which helps us sleep better.
9. Increases lymphatic circulation.
10. Enhances the release of endorphins, which increases our sense of pleasure.
11. Increases immune system function.
12. Increases the production of interleukin-1, which plays a central role in the regulation of immune and inflammatory responses to infections.
YouTube: enter Carol Marcy meditations. Here are a series of videos of guided meditations.
Insight Timer: This is a free meditation app for your phone. I have guided meditations here as well.
Lower Cape TV: Creating Health and Well-Being with Dr. Carol Marcy on demand. www.LowerCapeTV.org as seen on Vimeo.
Books: Living Life as a Prayer is distributed by Amazon
Creating Peace Inside and Out: cultivating heart-centered living is no longer available.H